Please keep in mind that these answers may vary depending on your state laws, and your specific DUI conviction. Visit your State-Specific page, or become a DUI Service Member to find out what applies to you.
How much does a DUI cost?
Costs can range from $3,000 to over $15,000, depending on the number of prior DUIs and severity of the DUI case. A first offender with no injury sustained to others, or damage to property will typically need to pay:
- Fines $1,000
- Tow/Impound Fee $200
- Alcohol Education Classes $600
- Court Costs $800
- Insurance Increase $500-1,500
- Attorney Fees $2,500+
What are the penalties for a DUI?
In addition to paying for the actual costs of a DUI, the same first offender in the scenario above may receive the following DUI penalties:
- Suspended driver’s license
- Ordered jail time and/or community service
- Attendance of alcohol education classes*
- Installation an ignition interlock device (car breathalyzer)
- Proof of financial responsibility (SR-22 insurance)
*Some states allow these courses to be taken online. Click here for more information